Digital Smile Design
Smile design includes any dental treatment affecting dental esthetics. Digital smile design (DSD): The DSD system is a completely unique system, by which the patient’s smile is designed digitally for the first time using a computer. The treatment results can be shown to the patient prior to any dental operations, enabling the patient to comment on their smile's design according to their own desire or previous photos. This smile design system is completely realistic and natural, and is the best guide for those who highly care about their dental esthetics and smile design. The exact measurement of smile design is carried out by using various proportions and adjusting the facial design parameters including pupil spacing, lip spacing, facial height, etc. Using the advanced GPS software and its unique features in face and tooth beauty analysis allows us to easily and precisely check certain parameters and execute laboratory and clinical instructions. The necessary changes including teeth size, shape, symmetry, and height as well as other specifications will be applied to your smile using the digital facial photo review software. Today, the beauty of a smile is not only about the teeth, and the beauty of the gum and teeth together with the shape of the lips and face can provide a better harmony. For example, adjusting the gum line with surgery (surgical crown lengthening) as a complementary and practical method to make teeth look better and correct dental composition is among such methods applied to improve smile design. Further, the injection of gel and Botox simultaneous with the correction of smile pattern could have the best results in this regard. Additionally, hydroxyapatite systems consisting of the natural dental tissue (stem cells) offer an excellent look to the generated coatings and make your smile design astonishingly beautiful and natural. Various smile design methods:
- Hollywood smile: This smile design system with high and fully white color change, which is attributed to Hollywood actors and actresses, has a variety of different types with regard to smile design procedures.
- Smile design by Lumineers non-prep laminates: This smile design technique is applicable to the specific conditions of patients under dentist’s recommendation. Nowadays, Lumineers is known as a unique trading brand, and the implementation of this technique using different procedure and materials may not necessarily be referred to as Lumineers. This technique is also known as ultra-thin and minimal-prep veneers, and a general term ‘contact lens’ is used to refer to this technique in the most recent methods. It should be noted that these laminates are extremely thin and simultaneously have maximum aesthetics and resistance.
- Smile design by minimal-prep laminates: The highest aesthetics can be observed in this smile design technique using the minimal-prep (less than tooth enamel). The raw materials used in this technique include nano-crystalline ceramics, which, with high levels of aesthetics and resistance, ensure your ultimate satisfaction with your smile. In this technique, prior to any dental operations, the treatment outcome can be observed by the DSD technology.
- Laminates 3/4 or ceramic veneer systems: This system is quite similar to the previous systems, and is prescribed when a combination of laminate and coating is required, or when the composite veneers had been used as three fourth of the teeth needs to be scratched. In this smile design technique, crystalline ceramics as well as a dentin-like mixture are used to bring you the highest smile aesthetics. It should be noted that these veneers in this technique are thicker than the previous ones due to the higher tooth scratch in this system.
- Smile design by composite laminates: This method is performed by the dentist in his office and makes it possible to design your smile at a single session. In this technique, before the treatment, the smile design and the treatment procedures can be observed on request by the DSD technology. It is worth noting that, given the fact that all procedures are carried out in the office, in extremely rare cases, it is impossible to have smile design and tooth shaping on the patient’s wish. The aforementioned techniques, however, completely suit your taste and opinion. Furthermore, in this technique, when the treatment is undertaken, several polishing sessions are needed for color stability.
- Smile design and different types of dental veneers: The production of coatings with the highest aesthetics and real applications using CAD / CAM technology with a unique digital design and the adoption of Zironica instead of the existing dental metals reduced the problems with previous coatings. Furthermore, the frequency of referrals to test the tooth coating is also decreased, and it can be delivered only one session after molding session.
- Smile design by crystal veneer: It is one type of full-ceramic veneers with a long lifespan, remarkable aesthetics, and pleasing quality. Like Zirconia veneers, they have a superb appearance and unparalleled similarity to natural teeth. In this type of veneer, it is 100% possible to restore the natural enamel’s transparent and translucent appearance with a similar strength. In this technique, the teeth need to be completely scratched. Furthermore, this technique is also more appropriate for complete dental malocclusion, the ones with a severe change in color, or those under root canal therapy.
- Smile design by dental orthodontics: This method can be implemented in a large number of cases and is almost considered as the best treatment method since no change or manipulation occurs on tooth surface. This method is perfectly appropriated for dental malocclusion that are beautiful and of pretty color. Such dental malocclusion will be corrected by using orthodontic procedures. This technique, however, suffers from a number of problems, including long treatment as well as the increased risk of tooth decay during the treatment course Nowadays, even though, the decay problem has been completely eliminated by the invisible orthodontic method.
- Smile design and gingival graft: In many cases, known as ‘Gummy Smile’, the teeth are too short and their gum side is covered by excessive gums. In a majority of these cases, it is possible to design a smile while undertaking gingival graft in the office or by laser. In spite of the treatment simplicity and short treatment course (one session), the outcome is remarkable.
- Smile design and facial and jaw surgery: Sometimes, the aesthetic problem with the smile is related to the backwardness or forwardness of the jaw. In these cases, correcting the position of the teeth by methods such as orthodontic or laminate is not practical, and a jaw surgery is required, in which the jaw bone is displaced to be in an ideal position.