method of hair transplantationMarch 7, 2020
How to Have a Hollywood Smile?March 11, 2020
During your initial consultation, your doctor will determine which hair transplant method
is best for you based on the type of hair loss, size of the back area, and the quality and size of the donor area available.
Patients who have good hair and only have baldness in certain areas and those who prefer to have their hair close to the scalp prefer FUE. Although, the FUE
method can be more time consuming and costly, and the follicle extraction process may damage hair bank and make fewer follicles available for transplantation.
However, a patient who requires extensive transplantation and needs a wider area of the scalp to be covered often has to resort to a strip method, such as using FUT
Regardless of the hair transplant method you use there are several Pre- and post-transplant care that can help a person achieve the best results possible.
Here are some things to consider before and after hair transplantation.
Important tips before hair transplant :
1) For patients undergoing FUT surgery, it is advisable to keep the hair within 4-5 cm before hair transplantation, which will help to hide the sutures after surgery.
2) Patients undergoing FUT should begin stretching exercises one month before surgery.
3) In patients undergoing FUE surgery, the entire head should often be shaved.
4) You can continue using FDA-approved hair loss prevention techniques (if prescribed)
5) Please stop using any vitamins and supplements a week before your hair transplant.
6) Do not use alcohol for 48 hours before surgery.
7) Read the consent form before referring for surgery.
8) Contact your doctor if you had any questions.
Instructions after Hair transplant :
1) You should avoid alcoholic drinks for up to three days after your hair transplant. Alcohol can dilute blood and cause bleeding.
2) Do not use vitamins and Blood-thinning medications for at least three days after surgery since they may cause severe bleeding .For pain or headache, please use painkillers prescribed for you. If you are in doubt, you should talk to your doctor.
3) You should avoid exercise such as running, cycling, and weightlifting. Activities such as golf, baseball, soccer, etc. should also be avoided. Avoiding these is recommended for at least three days after your surgery. These activities, while keeping you entertained, can cause bleeding and loss of hair grafts, as they can cause severe swelling around your eyes and forehead. Strong physical activity should not be performed until at least one week after surgery.
4) Avoid bending and lifting equipment for at least 48 hours after surgery to prevent bleeding and severe swelling. Keep your head and upper body higher than your heart, especially during sleep.
5) Use an ice pack. Putting ice-pack reduces the chance of swelling. Please put a bandage gauze on the area first and place the ice on top that. In the recipient area, do not place the ice directly on the transplant area.
6) One of the minor complications of surgical hair transplant is swelling. If you have severe swelling (usually around 48-72 hours after surgery), it is painless and mostly occurs in the forehead and nose and it may continue around the eyes. If this happens, don't be afraid. In 2 to 3 days the swelling will reduce. Put the ice pack on the swell, avoid any stressful activity and Contact the hospital (doctor) if you have any questions.
7) Use more than one pillow bellow your head and upper body for the first 3-4 days to sleep. This will prevent frontal swelling.
8) Do not wash or put water on your head until 24 hours after hair transplantation and do not comb. After this time, it is appropriate to shower and wash the hair by putting shampoo in your hand and placing it gently on the head, both in the recipient and in the donor area. Afterward, rinse your hair with cool water with normal pressure. You must take precautionary measures up to 5 days after surgery. After that, you may be able to use shampoo as usual. It is recommended to use a moisturizer daily in the recipient and donor area. Gently apply it on the skin and allow the conditioner to rest for 5 minutes, then gently wash it. This will in particular reduce wound formation.
9) After showering, gently apply towel or bandage on your head. This will absorb any blood that is on or around the transplanted area.
10) If you use a hair dryer, use the cold wind in the first five days after surgery. Warm winds can cause bleeding in one or more areas.
11) The transplanted area develops scars within 24 to 72 hours after surgery, and these wounds heal 3 to 10 days after. You may notice that by shedding the scars, your hair will fall off. This is normal. Avoid cutting and manipulating wounds, which can cause infection and endanger the survival of the transplant. If the scars stay longer than 14 days, you may not have shampooed them well. Remember, that the first 5 days after surgery is a critical period. Use caution in shampooing and other activities.
12) A few weeks after or every time after hair transplantation, hair growth may occur. This will make it look like a very small painless pimple either in the donor area or in the recipient area. Place a small warm towel or warm compress on it three times a day. Contact your doctor if you have not recovered after three days or if the area has redness, swelling or tenderness (or painful to the touch) or inflammation.
13) Swimming is prohibited in a pool containing chlorine water and should be avoided at least a week after surgery. Swimming in the saltwater pool three days after surgery is strongly recommended, although this is not necessary.
14) Suture removal and surgical site evaluation is recommended 7 to 10 days after surgery. An appointment with your doctor may be arranged before discharge.
15) If you have a problem that has not been addressed here, feel free to contact your doctor.